I want to make my home more energy efficient – what help is available to me?

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on email

If you’re on a low income, that’s a big incentive to ensure your home is energy efficient.

With plenty of help available as part of the government’s drive to eradicate fuel poverty, there are options for everyone to save money.

According to government statistics, having loft insulation and cavity wall insulation can reduce your energy bills by around £300 per year.

The Energy Saving Trust says that, in a typical three-bedroom home, you can save an average of £160 a year by having cavity wall insulation and a further £140 a year through loft insulation.

Most pre-1920s homes have a gap between the external and internal walls and filling it with insulating material and foam keeps warm air in and cold air out. Similarly, much heat in your home can be lost through the roof, but having mineral wool installed under the rafters can solve the problem.

Certain groups in the community are eligible to receive this service free of charge.

If you live in privately-owned or privately-rented accommodation, you may be eligible for free cavity wall and loft insulation, depending on certain qualifying criteria. If you’re a council or housing association tenant, many housing providers have their own schemes where you can still receive this service for free.

To check if you qualify, call a home insulation provider and have a free assessment to see if you fit the criteria.

Even if you don’t qualify, the nominal cost of having the insulation installed will be more than covered by the subsequent savings in your energy bills.

Why not have an energy performance check carried out on your home to see where you can make savings? A simple check by an accredited domestic energy assessor will tell you where improvements could be made in energy consumption to save you money.

It could be something as simple as switching to energy-efficient light bulbs to save money on electricity bills.

If you’re selling your home, or are a landlord renting out a property, it must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) due to new regulations. It’s a bit like an MOT for your home and is valid for 10 years once issued.