The Green Deal
The other current UK Government energy efficiency programme is the Green Deal. It is aimed at helping homeowners, landlords, tenants and businesses reduce their energy consumption whilst saving money. The Green Deal is a source of financing a whole range of energy efficient measures through your utility bill and is installed by qualified Green Deal approved companies like Warm Front Limited.
Put simply, the Green Deal allows you to install an energy efficient solution, paying no more than you currently pay because the repayments are taken from the savings on your lower utility bill (the Golden Rule). Also, by being more energy efficient you will be helping to combat climate change whilst improving your home.
The process is relatively easy. You simply:
- Receive a Green Deal Assessment on your home, by a qualified Green Deal Assessor (GDA). This is to see how energy efficient the property is now and how it could be improved, this is known as a Green Deal Advice Report.
- The GDA will go through your Green Deal Advice Report with you, identifying the current home energy rating, what can be done to improve it and what your rating would be after the improvements have been completed.
- Next, the GDA will explain the range of products available to improve your property along with the associated financial options. They will discuss what options are best for you. Occasionally measures are covered by grants or funding, otherwise Green Deal Finance with a Green Deal Provider (GDP) is another solution (these are regulated companies who arrange Green Deal finance for you).
- If you are going down the Green Deal Finance route, then the GDA will help you appoint a Green Deal Provider, who will arrange to come and see you to arrange a Green Deal Plan. The plan is to outline the improvements, the associated costs and repayments. It also arranges for a Green Deal Approved installer, such as Warm Front Limited to carry out the work.
- Once the paperwork is completed, the work is will be undertaken and repayments will begin to be taken through your energy provider. Remember the Golden Rule still applies; You will only pay back the cost of the improvements through the savings that are made on your energy bill. Green Deal Finance is not the same as a typical loan. The finance is applied to the property, not the person, so if the loan is not fully repaid but you want to move house, the new occupant will inherit the loan. This will still work out cheaper than if the improvements were never made. To find out more about the Green Deal please contact us, or check the Government website at www.gov.uk/greendeal.
Green Deal Finance is not the same as a typical loan. The charges applied to your property and not you, so if the loan still has charges on it and you want to move homes then the new occupant will pick up the charge, but again this still will be cheaper than if the improvements were not made!
To find out more on Green Deal please contact us, or check out the Governments site on www.gov.uk/greendeal.